Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The "First Born"

I have started!!! YAY!!! After about 6 years, I am finally starting my refurbishing project. 

Here is my "first born" ... Isn't she CUTE!!??
 I wish I had taken before pictures so that you could see the change. ::sigh:: Lesson learned!




This night stand has been in my family for a few generations. I want to say that my late grandpa made this but I am unsure. This was part of a bedroom set with a huge dresser and a vanity. Oh, how I wish I had the dresser and vanity but, unfortunately, they were destroyed in a house fire in my parents home back in 2008. So sad. :(

Since I do not have before pictures or pictures of the process, I'll just let ya know what I did. :)

I began by removing the hardware. 

This was brass ... and very ... not so pretty. I thought that I might find a new "updated" handle pull, but my mom and sister convinced me to keep the original and just spray paint it. I am glad they did. So, I primed and painted it a metallic silver and once it was dry I rubbed a little black paint on it to give it a worn look and to bring out the detail. 

I sanded the whole stand and drawer just enough for the primer to stick and then put on a couple coats of a deep purple and let it dry.

Next, I was trying to think of how I wanted the cubby area to look. I have seen other's do wall paper inside so I decided to go that route. I even decided to do the inside of the drawer. Instead of wallpaper, I decided that scrapbook paper would do just fine. I found the PERFECT design! Silver/metallic with swirls.... doesn't it look awesome with the handle pull??



So there it is, people! What do you think?? Not bad for my first. :)

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love how you did the outside of the drawer and the back of the inside. That is a really good idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It really brightened up the inside, huh? :)

      Delete
  2. That was a good idea to do the inside with scrapbook paper. There's so much to choose from. It looks great !!!

    ReplyDelete